CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ultimate Cake-Off


Happy New Year! I guess I better get back into the swing of things like every other blogger I know.... Instead of playing catchup and posting a billion Christmas pictures, I'm going to forego that thought and just start fresh with some of our January happenings. Though I am including one picture of our adorable little man, Nixon, the rest of this post is dedicated to one night specifically. The Ultimate Cake Off.

Kyle & Robin and Tyler & Erin braved the PILES of snow and frigid weather to come over so we could celebrate Robin and Erin's birthdays. I've always wanted to hone my baking skills and learn how to bake and decorate cakes using all the professional tools like icing bags/tips, fondant, flowers etc. After seeing my friend, Beth's, cake blog I got inspired to learn for myself. So for Christmas I asked for (and received) a SWEET cake decorating kit and we busted it open with our friends on Friday for a good old fashioned "Cake-Off". Because this was a boys vs. girls competition, and the fact that we are all beginner decorators, don't critique to harshly... We didn't make icing with the proper decorating consistency or stack and shape the cakes at all. We also cheated a bit and got design tips for our flowers, vines and edging techniques from pictures that came with the kit. All in all it was just a fun, creative activity that we all got into and LOVED. I can't wait to do it again!


The supplies

Men hard at work... (they totally got WAY more into it than us)

Us girls' simple flowery approach

The boys' more DETAILED approach (they just kept adding...
...and adding....and adding more icing!)

The comparison shot - whose do you like best?

Side view of the boys' cake to give you an idea of the AMOUNT of icing they used

We all ate WAY to much icing - especially the 3 boys
Seriously, we all felt sooo sick afterwards.
(and ps. does anybody think that Kyle and Nick are a little creepy here?)
I know I do... haha

6 comments:

The Oregon Tale said...

hahaha this looks like it was such a fun night!!! Also: is that an octopus on the guy's cake???

Jill said...

i think the pic of the 3 boys is funny-especially b/c they kind of are smiling like little boys-and that is a huge amount of icing. i can't wait til you take a class and then show us some of your cakes!

Andy said...

Sorry Carrie, but I actually liked the boys cake better... untill I saw the side-view! Holy icing! Ha ha.

Looks like fun though and and I just have to say (again)that Nixon is so stinkin' cute I can hardly stand it.

The Dudleys said...

Yay for the cake off! our cake definitely wins!

Ellen said...

This is so a 'Carrie' inspired night :) hehe.. I love it, looks like you guys had a blast!! Your little man looks adorable, I can't wait to see baby #2 :)

The Oregon Tale said...

like the Girls cake...but i'm biased. Miss you Carrie...only a few more months until we're home for EVER!!! (except vacations) :)