CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pregnant ponderings...

So the past few days I've been thinking about many of the 'blessings' of pregnancy. A lot of these examples are very cliche' since I of course didn't buy into any of them before I was pregnant myself. Quite funny actually..... at least to me anyways.

1. I think that 99% of women look BEAUTIFUL when they are pregnant. Even when they are complaining about weight gain or saying how they feel 'huge' I still think they look amazing, and that they should be taking a belly picture on a regular basis to remember this amazing time in life. Now that I am pregnant myself, I DO NOT feel like I am very beautiful most days and I feel like a tank. I'm sure that my Young Women's girls are lying to me when they say I'm such a cute pregnant lady, and that I'm glowing. (Don't even get me started on the term 'glowing'.....) And anytime I try to get a decent belly picture, I end up making Nick take 50 (which results in a nice little argument) just to get ONE half-decent one. Bleh.

2. Waking up (at least) 2 times a night to pee is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. The real kicker is that I feel like I'm going to pee at least 4 litres, and probably 1/4 cup is all that comes out. How is that even possible? It's barely even worth rolling out of bed, pulling my pants down, sitting down, pulling my pants up, and washing my hands for that piddly amount. (no pun intended)

3. I haven't had very many cravings (probably because in regular life I eat whatever I want whenever I feel like it) But I have noticed a NEED for healthier food on a regular basis. If I eat crappy processed stuff like fast food, within an hour or two I end up feeling like garbage. This is clearly a blessing for me as it helps me to eat healthier.

(random side note - ironically the two things I actually have craved are Cheetos and Slurpees. Very healthy I know...)

4. I have always liked my ankles. Unfortunately for the past month I haven't been able to see much of them. My feet are like little sausages (ankles included) and I'm pretty sure I will have to wear flip flops for the rest of my pregnancy.

5. My husband thinks I'm a hormonal moody mess. I get agitated, annoyed and stressed quite easily. I cry over everything (even more than normal - example : Nick was mocking me because I got teary eyed just watching a preview for "Letters to Juliet" at the theatre the other day. A preview!) I know he is really looking forward to me being 'normal' again.

6. For how hormonal I am these days, my skin has gotten quite nice. I don't usually have it too bad, but I can always count on having one zit come along just as another is finally going away. In the past few months I've had next to no zits. I am loving this! (knock on wood...)

7. It is really hard to get into a comfortable position when sitting on the couch or sleeping. My arms fall asleep at least 4 times a night which cause me to wake up in order to roll over. I forget what it's like to not have 30 pounds layered onto my abdomen.
I really miss being able to sleep on my stomach.

8. Why did no one tell me about hot flashes??? I feel like I'm going through menopause because you hear about it all the time in relation to that, but I never heard anything about pregnant women getting them. I am constantly SO hot and SO sweaty. It's gross! I always thought that 'a bun in the oven' referred to the fact that the baby was growing like bread/dough would in an oven. I now know that 'bun in the oven' is (or should be) referring to the fact that my body literally feels like an OVEN!

9. I always secretly thought that 'pregnancy brain' was just something people used as an excuse to being forgetful. But as someone who prides herself in the great memory she has, I can now attest that 'pregnancy brain' is no myth! If I don't write something down I WILL forget it. Every. single. time. This is also something Nick has not been enjoying as I am the one who keeps things running smoothly around our household. Needless to say, I write EVERYTHING down these days. haha...

10. I LOVE feeling the baby move around and kick me (except when he jams his foot up in my ribs - that HURTS!) but when the baby does a big movement like rolling over, it sometimes creeps me out because it makes my belly look like a moving waterbed. Nick says it's like I have a little alien inside of me, and then I start thinking of "Breaking Dawn" and that's probably why I get a little creeped. Does anyone else feel that way?

11. Because of the surgery I had last year when the right 1/3 of my uterus was removed, my baby is growing mostly on my left side where my remaining uterus exists. It is visibly noticeable that my stomach is lopsided, and I'm currently working on getting a picture that shows it. I think it's pretty funny - but definitely something better seen in person.

I swear I had way more thoughts on pregnancy, but since my brain is now drawing a blank (surprise....surprise....) I will end things here. Besides, since my baby is due on the 11th of May, having 11 points seems very fitting :)

Also, I hope that no one felt like I was a big whiner while sharing the joys of being pregnant, because I wouldn't change one single thing about my experience. I truly am so grateful for the blessing of being able to bring a baby into this world, and more often than not I am simply amazed with this whole experience. It really is a miracle that it's even possible. Here's just one picture for those of you who wanted to see that ever increasing waistline of mine!

I didn't think I looked that big until I saw this picture...
(and this was 2 weeks ago!)


ps. T-minus 14 days until this baby arrives!

12 comments:

The Oregon Tale said...

Oh my gosh your preggers blog is so stinkin' cute!! it made me wish i was preggers too so that we could go thru all this together....haha except for the pee'ing at night part...eghh no thanks.

i'm so excited to be a pseudo-auntie to your little Famulak nugget!!!

Love you so much!!

Kyra said...

Ahhh I miss you so much Sis.Famulak.
It's so cool to hear that you're pregnant and the baby is coming so soon too!
And I must admit I did feel a hint of jealousy when you talked about the young woman and you didn't mean the old ones. (Sad face.)
I'm glad I discovered your blog and I shall be reading it often. (: Btw it's Kyra from Edmonton if your pregnancy caused you to forget my identity. :P

Jenny Fitzner said...

You're definitely not a whiner (you should see my ranting post when I was pregnant), and your young women are NOT lying-you do look great (although I know you don't feel it). The grand thing about this is (get ready for this, because I hated when people told me this, and then I had my son and realized how true it was) your baby will come, and all of this craziness with pregnancy, all of the cons will be washed away (sort of), and all you'll think about is how amazing it is that your child is finally with you in your arms. It's amazing. That's so exciting that your due date is so soon (I know it doesn't feel soon to you). Congrats. I hope all goes well.

Kay said...

Carrie I loved this post....everything so true! I am totally one of those people who think all pregnant ladies look great! You look great and your face hasn't changed one bit...so jealous....I loved the part about 1/4c of pee hahah just pee your bed much easier..kidding wow 2 weeks and I get to meet the lil guy. Can't wait!

Chuck and Julie Browne said...

I love reading what other women post about pregnancy. It's hard to understand until you go thru it yourself and for anyone who says pregnancy was just sunshine and butterflies is just lying to themselves. Everyone has a story or two to tell. Keep the rantings coming and good luck! The delivery was by far my favorite part or the 9 months.

Jill said...

this made me laugh. my ankles or feet never swell but my zits get worse. i cried during finding nemo and i hate crying in movies! i think like a man, like who does that! so embarassing. i hate when you pee and then a few minutes later you feel like you still need to pee again. i ate cheetos yesterday and i never do, so random. and you look so cute in that pic! and those poor 1% of women who don't look beautiful when pregnant. i wish i only had 2 weeks left. good luck and i'm excited to come see nick jr when he's just a day or two old!

the fellers said...

ok, you are so funny, and I agree 100% with everything you say, and especially when you dont think you are THAT big then you see a picture of yourself....and AHHH!! But in all honestly, yes you have a belly, but I think you look cute....but if you didnt have a belly, I would be concerned, cause you are pregnant..one thing I would add about pregnancy is how it is so hurtful (for me anyway) when anyone says anything about my size...like, "oh! YOu are getting HUGE!" I really dont think they are referring to my face/butt/thighs/arms, etc, just my every growing belly at that moment....(although they may be THINKING I am getting huge in those other parts), I still go home and cry, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Even my close friends, I would just like them all to say, YOU ARE SO SMALL, even if I am not, I think that is the ONLY time it is ok to lie to someone you love! haha...ok, now it sounds like I am lying to you, but I promise I am not, you are so cute...really....and that shirt is darling, where did you get it??? Ok, I am done now!

The Dudleys said...

YAY! Baby! I can't wait to meet him! We miss you guys! I think you look beautiful in the pictures and from behind you can't even tell you would be pregnant! Looking Good Carrie! Only 2 weeks to go!

Nadia and Jarom Phillips said...

Ok wow... I totally and completely sympathize with you 100000%!!! It is so crazy how much I understand what you are going through. It can be rough at times indeed! But you are almost done!!! I remember the day I had Vienna I dropped a pen and I bent over and picked it up... then I realized that I bent down and picked it up... and I bawled! I missed being able to move!!!
You are looking awesome! I hope you don't mind that I totally creeped on you. But from one woman who has been pregnant and looked like a butter ball... you honestly do look adorable! Congrats again!

Scott and Tara said...

I loved everything you said. Made me laugh since i was just pregnant less than 2 weeks ago and agree completely with everything! Don't worry soon you can start a new list of things you hate about not being pregnant anymore (bleeding, saggy skin, waking up now way more than 2 times a night, ect.)

Christal said...

great post and good to know! You really are so cute! Love your thoughts you are so fun!
I'd probably be the same as in you in that your so excited and happy but some of the things suck to go through! Hopefully someday maybe I'll get that experience though I am getting a little old haha!! Hang in there!

Ellen said...

lol, great post Carrie, so true!! I love the confession about the preggo brain :) Let me tell you something, it gets worse before it gets better (they say: your brain goes out with your placenta, lol). I can sympathize with you about the hormones, I always thought that hormones were an excuse to be nasty (like with pms) but ever since having kids I realized they are really powerful! I hated day 2-3 after baby arrived because it is always extremely hormonal for me (it's the day when all your hormones go from 'pregnant' to 'non-pregnant', and usually when your milk comes in, with my first I cried all day for no reason on day 3). Oh and I cry during commercials - beat that!