CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm home

On the way to the hospital

Here's the run-through. My surgery started at 7:45am on Thursday and I was out of recovery and into my room by 11am. Dr. Hoskins came in a couple hours later to let me know how everything went. They removed the small malformed part of my uterus, and part of my right fallopian tube. He said his suspicions were right, that there was definitely an area in the part of removed uterus that had a hardened build up of blood in it that would have been agitating and causing me all the pain. They also took part of the right fallopian tube out to avoid any chance of an ectopic pregnancy on that side. He said everything went well, there were no complications and it should heal just fine. I had 14 staples on the outside with some suturing on the inside. Craziness. I think I was expecting excruciating pain or something because I've been pleasantly surprised that the pain hasn't been tooo bad. Though I'm sure my dear friend, Mr. Morphine, helped quite a bit for those first couple days :) All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. Just a little wiped out. If I'm standing or sitting I feel fine, it's just any movement in between that hurts - anything that requires the use of my abdominal muscles. I just have to be really slow and careful when I stand up or sit down or roll out of bed. The worst part is when I do something unexpectedly like laugh, cough or sneeze. It's brutal!

Mmm...jello... The only good thing about a liquid diet.


The doctor had originally told me I'd be released from the hospital on Sunday morning but I was able to come home a whole day early! I think I was mostly excited to get home and have a proper meal. After three days of being on a liquid diet I was starving! (One of the reasons I am stoked to have my Mom here.) There's nothing better to help out a recovery than some home cooked meals and some TLC from my Mom. I am so grateful to have her here keeping me company and helping out around the house.

My cute Mom and my favorite homecooked meal: Cheddar chowder
& cornmeal muffins


I asked the Dr to explain again how all of these changes will work and how
this will affect my ability to get pregnant. He said that on any given month one or both of your ovaries are producing eggs, and it's basically a race to see who wins the race and actually ovualtes. Yes, on some months the right ovary will ovulate and won't have anywhere to go, so I just won't be able to get pregnant that month. He said that the left side will be ovulating enough that it won't make much of a difference - my odds really aren't even decreased. So that is encouraging. The one thing he did tell me though, is that because of the surgery/removal of part of my uterus that side of my uterus is compromised slightly. There will be scar tissue on that side so it isn't as strong as the rest of it. Because of that he said I will need to have C-sections whenever I have a baby. We wouldn't want to risk it tearing or having bleeding to complicate labour. That would obviously be a risk for me and the possibility of any subsequent kids. So it's kind of wierd to already know that I will never get to experience labour. I'm a little disappointed, but I guess there are pros and cons both ways - I'll just have to look forward to the pros.

I just wanted to let everyone know how much I love you and appreciate all your prayers and concern. It means a lot to know I have so many people cheering for me. Thanks for all the notes of encouragement, emails, phone calls, visits and of course goodies!

The gorgeous orchid Christa brought me, and the tulips Nick's parents brought (my favorite).

8 comments:

the fellers said...

i am so glad that things are going well, I called you, but there was no answer, I will try again tomorrow. k? How crazy is that that you already know how you will deliver? But, atleast you know you are ok to get pregnant, c-section or not....how great. I am so glad things are well, love ya!

The Heavenor's said...

I'm so glad it all went well Carrie! And glad you have a wonderful husband and Mom to take care of you! Good luck with the recovery, and yes that is great it looks like getting pregnant is still do - able when that time comes. Just look at is contractions suck and are sooooooo painful, so with a planned c-section you can avoid that! :)

Babu and Shosho said...

Hi Carrie, I just happened to go to you blog tonight and realized I am so out of the loop! I;m so sorry about all this surgery, but I;m glad things went well for you Glad you have your mom there with you too! I will pray for the healiing to be effective and for you to get pregnant right away. I didn't know all this was going on. Love you two, Sheila

Christal said...

carrie I'm so glad all went well with good results its never fun thats for sure! Hopefully it will help in getting pregnant. I'm glad your mom could come too that is always so nice to have someone watch over you! Helps to have a good husband too hope you have a quick recovery too!! ttys

The Dudleys said...

Carrie,
I am so happy that you are home and things went well. Just let us know when a good time to come visit and and we will be there...with treats in hand.

Schows said...

Glad everything went well Carrie :) I'm sure it feels so good to get to the bottom of everything and get it fixed. I know exactly what you mean with the coughing and the laughing. I had a c-section with Lola and I remember letting out the whimpiest little coughs because thats all I could manage. Take it easy!
Liv

Lorraine said...

We are so glad it is all over for you. Hopefully you will recover fast with all the love and care you are getting. You look great by the way for just having surgery. Take care and lots of love to you and Nick.

bklain said...

Could anyone be cuter laying in a hospital bed after major surgery?! I don't think so! I'm so glad you are recovering well - and that your mom is there to make it all better! Thanks for keeping us updated :) Love you Care!