CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Few Frustrations

So the other day I mentioned how sucky our Halloween weekend had started out to be and here's why. (Disclaimer: this is mostly for me to vent a bit....don't judge) Out of the past 21 days, Nick has worked 20 of them. And previously to that he's been working more than normal as well. Now this is not just a cushy 9-5pm job, but he's leaving the house at 5:30am and getting home at 6pm. Because his days are so long he's usually pretty tired when he gets home and doesn't want to do much. He usually ends up falling asleep on the couch by 8pm. I get it, I really do - and I appreciate all his hard work. But for someone who's home all day and just wants to spend quality time with her husband, it's been a hard pill to swallow. It's been tough feeling like I've had to do 99% of everything for Nixon and keep our home running smoothly all alone. I have so much respect for all the single moms out there.

Don't get me wrong - we are glad he's been busy at work and has been able to pick up some overtime. I know this job isn't going to last forever, infact he'll probably be starting somewhere else before the year's done. But.... it just gets a little lonely sometimes. I'm a big fan of holidays, and pictures, and traditions so I was pretty excited to be celebrating Nixon's first Halloween and had a few plans (which I had cleared with Nick). But when he got home from work on Saturday he crashed on the couch and said he had had a particularily tiring day and didn't want to go anywhere. Now a good wife would have probably rubbed his feet or something and said nothing, but I didn't. I'd really been looking forward to going to our ward activity to see all the cute kids in their costumes and to socialize with some of our friends. I wanted to have fun with Nick and get out of the house. I was really disappointed and didn't want to just take no for an answer, so we ended up getting into a huge argument and fighting about it. Needless to say we ended up just staying home and I was mad at him for half the night. Why?

I don't know why I have to be so stubborn sometimes. I hate that I got so bent out of shape and let the issue ruin my night. But I am thankful that I have a tender hearted husband who is a great communicator. I'd say that 9/10 times Nick is always the first one to apologize and be the peacemaker. After we talked later, Nick decided that he wasn't going to go in to work the next day. It was a double time pay day, but he decided that it wasn't worth it. When he doesn't work the weekends, we never fight. We just needed some good old fashioned time together and I'm grateful we had it. It was so nice to just have him around to talk to when he wasn't tired or edgy, and I wasn't worn out. We did infact, have a Happy Halloween.

Here's to learning from our mistakes and moving forward. As well, we are infact going to have a FABULOUS November. We are heading to sunny Arizona for 10 days to spend some time with my parents and visit some of our bestfriends, Cam & Sheri Watkins. It is going to be such a fun trip and I am SO looking forward to days and days of uninteruppted, restful time with my husband and son. Here are a few of the other perks I'll be enjoying:

Mesa Arizona Temple

A Hockey Game!

Phoenix Coyotes vs. Pittsburg Penguins
GO Crosby!





These are just a couple examples of my absolute favorite foods (found only in the glorious USA)

11 comments:

Jill said...

Care-Don't blame either one of yourselves...maybe in a perfect world neither one of you would've got frustrated with the situation but in real life anyone could see why you would be frustrated and Nick would be tired and want to stay home. On the plus side think of all the extra money Nick is making, and that these hours aren't forever. Oh and in a few days you'll be lounging by a pool and doing tons of fun stuff! Please eat a strawberry cheesecake sweet cream dessert for me at cold stone. I haven't had one since about 2003!

Lindsay said...

Hey Carrie,
Thanks for posting this. I love reading peoples blogs that are honest. Mike works like a crazy person too. He has a 2 hr commute, works about 70 hours a week, and is doing his third year electrical ticket online. And his job is very labour intensive (probably like Nicks) so he is physically exhausted when he gets home. I feel like a single mom to three little kids, and it's crazy how much work it is to maintain a home. But like you said, the worst part is not being able to spend time together. Have tons of fun on your trip. I found getting away, even just for a weekend, helps a lot. I also found doing something I love helps, so I'm not waiting my life away. I love to decorate my house and build furniture (go to Ana-White.com if you're interested) and then I'm not just changing diapers, cleaning, or whatever. And thanks again for sharing. Have a good trip!

DJ said...

You're normal Carrie. Everyone has moments like this and being a mom without the sanity/relief of having a husband around would be killer. I also think the frustrating marriage moments make for a much stronger marriage when things do get worked through. This getaway sounds like it is much needed! Hang in there! Rub his feet and shut your mouth ;) JK. Speak your mind like the Carrie we all know and love and then make up good!!
Now take the extra money from all those long frustrating hours and GO SHOPPING CRAZY in AZ!! Make the most of all those long hours worked & an absentee husband :)
You're awesome Care, we love you and your honesty...it's refreshing. I hope his next job is less time consuming and you get him around more after this job is done!

Scott and Tara said...

I understand. Scott is never home and all i want to do when he gets home is to play! Go out or just socialize but he is just drained from long hours at school and wants to do nothing but sit on the couch. I am trying so hard to be more understanding but it is hard!
BUT have fun in AZ and now you can spend the money that Nick has been working hard at making!

the fellers said...

I am sorry Care, but I am glad your halloween ended up good...I know that Shon and I fight more when he works late, it is hard when you are home all day and just want a grown up to talk to instead of kids all day!

On a side note, yay for those American things...but you should try Costa Vida....VERY similar to Cafe Rio, but we actually like it better....if there is one down there, check it out. Plus, you can get a small salad (I always get the pork salad), and it is the perfect size, I can totally slam down a whole salad at Cafe Rio...but I feel better when I dont! haha

Oh man, now I am craving it! Oh they are SO good!

ashley b said...

You are awesome Care. Nixon is so lucky to have you for a Mama. It is hard when your husband has a super busy life. Every weekend Tom has his masters classes I DREAD it. It makes for such a long week when he is gone 6 out of the 7 days and Sunday is pretty much a write off. It really makes me grateful for the weekends when he doesn't have his classes. (I am also Thrilled that he isn't going to be coaching bball this year!) As for your trip- I am so jealous. You are going to have a blast and how fun for Nixon to have his grandparents all to himself. Have so much fun! You deserve it.

Francis Family said...

ugh I can totally relate! Dustin has been back to work for 3 days and I am already hating it because I don't know when his next day off is, and I HATE when he doesn't get days off, cuz hes home at 730pm every night! So I would have been upset too, so don't feel bad. and I'm definitely not the good wife to rub feet either! ha. we work just as hard, sometimes it's harder on us mentally too, not just physically. I also love that you wrote about being lonely because that's totally how I feel when he works so much. It's hard. Your doing great though, being a mom is definitely NOT easy! :)

Kristyn said...

Hang in there Carrie! I know this exact feeling. This is probably the first year in our almost 6 year marriage I haven't been such a bag to live with. haha. It is so hard being by yourself a lot.
Even though I decided to change my attitude it still is hard and there are frustrating days.
I just try to remember that Rus is working so hard for me and the girls. I am able to be at home which is something I always had hoped I could do.
It's a struggle trying to get a good balance, especially when you are starting a family and life together.
Just remmeber you are not alone. Pray lots to get through it!!

Heather said...

oh how I love an honest blog post!!! that is a scenario that is found in our hoe on a regular basis, thanks so much for sharing, and here's to you for making it into a learning experience! I am so into traditions and pictures too, and I hate when I look at a picture and I can remember my bad attitude or stubbornness from that day. Here's to focusing on the good and being grateful for hard working husbands!!! your the best

Heather said...

house, not hoe, we don't live in a brothel lol

Ellen said...

I too can totally relate! My husband's job is typically a lot of long hours (he's worked 20hrs in one day before!!) I decided early on in our family life that I would try not to sit at home and feel sorry for myself (although sometimes it still happens, lol) that we couldn't do all the things that 'typical' families do (not saying that you do). So I make an effort to plan fun things for me and the kids, if my husband can make it, great - if not I still try to make it out anyway (depending on what it is). Plus I love getting out with my kids during the day, going to Mom's groups, visiting the mall, playdates, etc. I find it cuts down on the loneliness :) The fact that you got upset about what happened just proves that you are normal like the rest of us :) Hope you have a fabulous vacation (lucky duck!!) and just cherish the time that you do have together!